Director of PhilanthropyCompany: Deer Hill Foundation
Date Posted: March 26, 2017
Since 1998, the Deer Hill Foundation (DHF) has provided scholarship grants for middle and high school students from our local region and for first generation American families from over 50 countries. These low income, high potential students participate in challenging and empowering wilderness and service expeditions on the Colorado Plateau and in Costa Rica. DHF also supports community service projects in Navajo, Hopi, and Zuni communities. A nonprofit with 501(c)(3) status, DHF is an integral part of Deer Hill Expeditions (DHE), Deer Hill Basecamp, and the breadth of people comprising the Deer Hill Circle.
This is a new position at DHF. Until now, the Executive Director (ED), with support from the Boards of Trustees and Advisors, has managed all aspects of DHF strategy and operations. DHF seeks to hire an individual who is willing and able to both manage administrative tasks and also think and act strategically. The Director of Philanthropy will play a leading role in forging a new and sustainable paradigm for DHF in collaboration with the ED and DHF stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and execute annual fundraising strategy.
- Manage annual, monthly, and online donations.
- Manage donor communications.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports for Boards of Trustees and Advisors.
- Prepare for and participate in annual Board meeting.
- Design a Major Gifts program and assist ED in its fulfillment.
- Manage prospect research as part of DHF’s fundraising strategy.
- Design grant strategy: perform grant writing and grant reporting.
- Manage DHF interface with DHE Civi-CRM database.
- Produce content for website, newsletters, email outreach, and appeals.
- Interact positively with stakeholders as well as scholarship grant recipients.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in a related field.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Competence with word processing, spreadsheet, and relational database/CRM software.
- Ability to collaborate with DHE admin staff in Programming, Outreach, and Finance.
- Valid driver’s license and clean record (insurance company requirement).
- Nonprofit management experience strongly preferred.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail; proven ability to work independently and also as a member of a small team.
- Ability to interact with DH youth groups, sometimes involving hiking and overnight camping.
- Willingness to travel occasionally to meet with DHF stakeholders and/or make presentations.Terms and Benefits
- Flexibility in work location including Durango, Deer Hill Basecamp in Mancos, and home.
- Part-time to full-time, depending on candidate’s availability and position fulfillment.
- SEP IRA with 3% match possible after one year.
- Starting salary commensurate with experience and degree of FTE.
Please send résumé, letter of interest, and three professional references to Doug Capelin, Executive Director, email@example.com. All inquiries will receive responses. Strongest candidates will be invited to complete an application. No phone calls at this time, please.