Development AssociateCompany: Explora
Date Posted: September 8, 2017
Position: Development Associate
Group: Community Engagement
Reports to: Deputy Director & Director of Community Engagement
Date last updated: 10.10.2016
FLSA status: 40 hours per week (full time); non-exempt
Responsibilities include data entry into donor database; timely administration of donor acknowledgement letters; preparation for board fundraising committee meetings; supporting the writing of grant proposals, reports, correspondence, and other materials; assisting with special fundraising projects and events; conducting research about new grants and funding opportunities; maintaining calendar of proposal and reporting deadlines; representing Explora to the public; and handling basic administrative functions for the Deputy Director & Director of Community Engagement and other members of the Development team. Explora is committed to building a culturally diverse staff that reflects the demographics of New Mexico and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide customer service, administrative, special events, and donor base support to the Development team.
- Provide excellent and timely customer service to community members who request information including recent and past donations and other donor records.
- Handle all administrative details associated with the Development team, including preparation and distribution of agendas and minutes for all team meetings and event committees.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials, and other duties as assigned for all special events.
- Participate in all fundraising activities, including donor cultivation; auction item solicitation and public relations; direct mail appeals; and special events.
- Review and record corporate, foundation, direct mail, individual and event gifts, pledges, employer matching contributions, and credit card billing daily.
- Coordinate production and mailing of appeal letters.
- Work with Publications Manager to develop collateral materials to support the Development team, i.e. monthly print and electronic communications, flyers, posters, brochures, etc.
- Assist to prospect, cultivate and steward individual and corporate donors, as needed.
- Participate with solicitation of auction items and sponsorship activities as requested.
- Manage the daily operation of the fundraising database for gift records, acknowledgement letters, donors and prospect information.
- Process and mail pledge reminders, receipts and acknowledgments, and other donor communications as required; devise systems where necessary.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Track and manage all Development invoicing.
- Assist with creation of reports and auditing the donor database to ensure the system effectively captures donor information to generate accurate financial and analytical reports.
- Create monthly fundraising reports as needed.
- Update and correct database records continuously.
- Provide donor gift reporting to development and executive staff as requested.
- Support proposal writing to foundations, corporations, and other grant-making organizations.
- Tell persuasive stories of Explora’s work and benefits to clients.
- Gather supporting documents required by funders.
- Maintain a calendar of grant proposal and reporting deadlines.
- Assist the Deputy Director and Executive Director with tasks related to the annual legislative session and all other fund development activities.
- Work independently and as a member of a team on all aspects of membership and development.
- Travel locally to Community Partner organizations, vendors, networking events, and meetings.
- Provide excellent customer service both internally and externally.
- The duties and responsibilities outlined above do not comprise a comprehensive list but are intended to provide a representation of the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this capacity. Explora maintains the right to augment or delete duties and responsibilities as business dictates.
- A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in related field and work experience performing similar duties; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted, as long as it directly relates to essential duties and responsibilities
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Word, and Access/database management software
- Proven command of editorial, grammatical, writing skills and techniques
- Experience managing competing priorities and multiple deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Initiative to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with Explora employees, volunteers, visitors, donors, and community partners
- Well-developed organizational skills, time management skills, and attention to detail
- Expressed interest in scientific and artistic phenomena and in education
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Functional Work Characteristics:
- Requires sufficient skills to work in a business environment, including organizing, coordinating, exercising daily decision-making, analyzing, and interpreting
- Requires effective eye-and-hand coordination and manual dexterity
- Requires standing and walking approximately 25% of the time, with regular need to perform physical actions that include sitting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling materials, pulling, carrying, and pushing
- May occasionally require lifting of various materials and equipment to a maximum of 50 pounds
- Most essential duties are performed in a museum and office environment with exposure to a variety of business equipment and other pertinent materials normally found in this type of work setting.
- Museum facilities may expose incumbent to high noise levels, temperature changes, liquid nitrogen, helium gas, electrical exposure, unpredictable ventilation, dust, and physical obstacles.
- Work is normally performed in an area of limited privacy.
Employment Screening and Compliance:
- Background check required.
- Employee must comply with all operational policies, especially those involving the safety of fellow workers, volunteers, and client/customers.
- Employee must maintain a current and valid driver’s license to perform work duties if position requires activities that require travel by motor vehicle, whether personal or company car.
- Position may require a person to be bonded.
Explora Science Center & Children’s Museum is an equal opportunity employer
Email or mail a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to:
Attn: Kristin Leigh, Deputy Director & Director of Community Engagement
1701 Mountain Rd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104