Capital Campaign ManagerCompany: Explora
Date Posted: October 20, 2017
To apply for this job
Email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to:
Kristin Leigh, Deputy Director & Director of Community Engagement
Position open until filled
Position: Capital Campaign Manager
Group: Community Engagement
Reports to: Deputy Director & Director of Community Engagement
Date last updated: 10.06.2017
FLSA status: 40 hours per week (full time); exempt
Explora seeks a Capital Campaign Manager responsible for implementing and completing a multi-million dollar capital campaign. This fundraising effort will support the financing of a new Cradle through Career STEM Learning Campus at Explora, including a STEM Education and Workforce Development Center and an Explora Early Learning Center. The Capital Campaign Manager will work closely with Explora’s senior leadership team, Board of Directors, and other development staff to carry out a broad-based fundraising plan targeting individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies to support this initiative. Responsibilities include overall campaign management and organization, researching and identifying prospects and assisting in solicitations, developing campaign materials, maintaining a campaign calendar and keeping the campaign committee on track, stewarding donors and acknowledging gifts, and preparing progress reports for board and senior leadership.
Explora is committed to building a culturally diverse staff that reflects the demographics of New Mexico and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implementing and completing a multi-million dollar capital campaign that supports construction of a new Cradle through Career STEM Learning Campus at Explora;
- Managing and organizing all aspects of the campaign, including pipelines, prospect tracking, strategy, task assignment, and maintenance of timelines;
- Researching and identifying prospects;
- Establishing solicitation priorities, managing prospect lists and research, developing and executing targeted cultivation plans and solicitation strategies for a range of prospects; preparing and providing support to staff, board members, and volunteers for solicitations;
- Scheduling meetings, preparing talking points, assembling presentations, and preparing meeting materials for board members, campaign volunteers, and Explora staff;
- Managing the writing and development of capital campaign print and electronic collateral materials and coordinatinig their design and production;
- Overseeing acknowledgement of all campaign gifts and pledges and preparation of pledge payment reminders and pledge agreements;
- Writing campaign correspondence, including solicitation proposals, meeting requests, and meeting follow-up;
- Maintaining master campaign calendar to maximize cultivation events and keep campaign committee on track;
- Organizing and monitoring volunteer assignments and follow-up, and assisting in all aspects of volunteer-led events;
- Ensuring that data related to prospects and donors is recorded and tracked; managing campaign record-keeping, evaluating progress toward goals, preparing periodic reports on fundraising and presenting to the board and senior staff; recommending revisions to the fundraising plan, as needed, to meet goals;
- Participating in solicitations, as appropriate;
- Working independently and as a member of a team;
- Traveling locally to partner organizations, vendors, networking events, and meetings;
- Providing excellent customer service both internally and externally;
- The duties and responsibilities outlined above do not comprise a comprehensive list but are intended to provide a representation of the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this capacity. Explora maintains the right to augment or delete duties and responsibilities as business dictates.
A Bachelor’s degree is required, along with three to five years of fundraising experience relevant to the responsibilities, including prior experience running a successful capital campaign in New Mexico and proven experience in securing major gift support.
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field and work experience performing similar duties; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted, as long as it directly relates to essential duties and responsibilities
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Word, and Access/database management software
- Proven command of editorial, grammatical, writing skills, and techniques
- Experience managing competing priorities and multiple deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Initiative to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with Explora employees, volunteers, visitors, donors, and community partners
- Well-developed organizational skills, time management skills, and attention to detail
- Expressed interest in scientific and artistic phenomena and in education
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Functional Work Characteristics:
- Requires sufficient skills to work in a business environment, including organizing, coordinating, exercising daily decision-making, analyzing, and interpreting
- Requires effective eye-and-hand coordination and manual dexterity
- Requires standing and walking approximately 25% of the time, with regular need to perform physical actions that include sitting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling materials, pulling, carrying, and pushing
- May occasionally require lifting of various materials and equipment to a maximum of 50 pounds
- Most essential duties are performed in a museum and office environment with exposure to a variety of business equipment and other pertinent materials normally found in this type of work setting.
- Museum facilities may expose incumbent to high noise levels, temperature changes, liquid nitrogen, helium gas, electrical exposure, unpredictable ventilation, dust, and physical obstacles.
- Work is normally performed in an area of limited privacy.
Employment Screening and Compliance:
- Background check required.
- Employee must comply with all operational policies, especially those involving the safety of fellow workers, volunteers, and client/customers.
- Employee must maintain a current and valid driver’s license to perform work duties if position requires activities that require travel by motor vehicle, whether personal or company car.
- Position may require a person to be bonded.
Explora Science Center & Children’s Museum is an equal opportunity employer