State DirectorCompany: Best Buddies New Mexico
Date Posted: November 29, 2017
Do you have principled optimism, cultural competence, networking savvy, and business oriented professionalism? If so, consider joining us in making a difference in the lives of those with intellectual and developmental differences. Best Buddies is seeking passionate, driven individuals whose vision is to create an inclusive community and a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies International - www.bestbuddies.org
Best Buddies® is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million+ people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs help people with IDD form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Founded in 1989 by Anthony K. Shriver, Best Buddies is a vibrant, international organization that has grown from one original chapter to almost 2,300 middle school, high school, and college chapters worldwide.
- Develop & implement annual state plan through overseeing day-to-day operations in offices statewide.
- Secure funding for programs and special projects, overseeing programs to ensure consistency and success, managing local Advisory Boards and associated committees and supervising a small staff.
- Oversee the success of all programmatic operations statewide by working with local programs staff and HQ Program Team.
- Direct the planning and implementation of program events and volunteer training initiatives state-wide; ensuring program participants and staff are appropriately integrated into statewide fundraising/awareness efforts and collaborate with staff to ensure all grant goals are realistic and in the best interest of local programmatic efforts.
- Develop comprehensive statewide strategy for securing sustainable funding and works with local staff, Advisory Boards, and volunteers on its implementation.
- Develop, monitor, and balance the state budget, including reviewing monthly financial statements, tracking all expenses and revenue, and adjusting spending/fundraising plans as needed.
- Manage local and/or statewide Advisory Board(s), including recruitment, training and retention of committee and board members in keeping with BBI Advisory Board Guidelines.
- Assume overall operational management for fundraising activities statewide including foundation and corporate giving, individual giving, major gifts, special events, annual giving, and alumni/parent relations.
- Implement major fundraising events to meet revenue goals – utilizing local event committees and following BBI event committee benchmarks/structure.
- Research grant opportunities, develop proposals to foundations, maintain accurate records and submit reports as required by funders with support for BBI Grants department.
- Manage government grants/contracts, including reporting, and maintain relationships with key agency officials.
- Create a comprehensive statewide public awareness strategy and a strong presence for BB in the local area through public speaking, community involvement, PSA’s, social media, special events, news releases, etc.
- Oversee organization of content and images for updates to state website and ensure staff uses Kintera database appropriately to communicate with participants and community.
- Recruit, screen, hire and train all staff statewide; conduct staff evaluations and provide guidance and motivation.
- Develop performance/behavior improvement plans as needed and research and provide professional development opportunities.
- Work to inspire and motivate local staff by demonstrating personal commitment and integrity and providing proactive training, support, and recognition.
- Ensures recruitment strategies and volunteer appreciation initiatives for BB program participants are effectively implemented.
- Identify, cultivate, and develop volunteers capable of making personal commitments and becoming directly involved in the solicitation process on behalf of BB-develop and manage stewardship process of all donors.
- Oversees (and delegates when appropriate) management of day-to-day infrastructure needs such as supplies, postage, IT, telecom, equipment/utility contracts, and office lease as needed to maintain an efficient and professional work environment.
- Use the online reimbursement system to effectively track and manage reimbursement requests from local staff.
- Maintains communication with HQ Operations and Development Team with timely reports and other information as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of progressive experience in fundraising including a record of success in expanding a donor base through cultivation and stewardship, grant writing, event planning/implementation, and/or board management.
- Superior persuasive writing and presentation skills with the ability to exert influence, inspire others and articulate the mission, goals, and activities of BB with passion and enthusiasm.
- Exceptional project management skills including planning, analysis, decision making and problem solving a must.
- 3+ years of management/supervisory experience and solid talent-building and team-building skills.
- Highly dependable, able to lead by example and be willing to adapt management style to fit the situation and hold staff accountable for meeting set expectations.
- Demonstrated track record of driving for results, solid self-assessment skills and ability to lead individuals and teams in setting and achieving challenging goals.
- Proficient w/MS Office and familiarity with database management systems, i.e.; Raiser’s Edge, Kintera, etc.
- Must be comfortable engaging with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
- Must travel, use personal cell phone, and work evenings and weekends as necessary or to participate with ‘all hands’ events.
- Access to an automobile with applicable insurance.
Please visit our website at www.bestbuddies.org and select “Career Opportunities” ---then apply for this role, State Director, New Mexico.